Have you ever been disappointed with the results of traditional data requirements gathering, especially for BI and data analytics? Ever wished you could ‘cut to the chase’ and somehow model the data directly with the people who know it and want to use it. However, that’s not a realistic alternative, is it? Business people don’t do data modeling! But what if that wasn’t the case?
In this lively session Lawrence Corr shares his favourite collaborative modeling techniques – popularized in books such as ‘Business Model Generation’ and ‘Agile Data Warehouse Design’ – for successfully engaging stakeholders using BEAM (Business Event Analysis and Modeling) and the Business Model Canvas for value-driven BI requirements gathering and star schema design. Learn how visual thinking, narrative, 7Ws and lots of Post-it ™ notes can get your stakeholders thinking dimensionally and capturing their own data requirements with agility.
This session will cover:
- The whys of data modelstorming: Why it’s different from traditional data modeling and why we need it
- Drawing user-focused data models: alternatives to entity relation diagrams for visualising data opportunities
- Using BEAM (Business Event Analysis and Modeling) to discover key data sources and define rich data sets
- How making toast can encourage collaborative modeling within your organisation
- Modelstorming templates which you can download and start using straight away.